Lead Generation: 25 Motivators to Entice a Prospect to Register Their Contact Information With You
Words To The Wise™ By Marketingsage Staff
The more prospects who choose to register their contact information with you the better. Someone who opts-in to your house list is demonstrating an interest in your message. Some may represent immediate sales opportunities. Others can be inexpensively nurtured over time using email until they purchase, opt-out or are disqualified as a prospect.
To build your house list you need to give your prospects a reason to share their contact information with you. Having a great product or special offer may not be a good enough incentive because many visitors will not be in purchasing mode when they first get to your web page. Most will be in learning mode. Keep that in mind when deciding what incentive to offer.
Here are the most common motivators that entice people to register their contact details on a web site:
- To request pricing or other information
- To access or download a white paper or article
- To see a product demonstration
- To attend a webinar (or to view a recording of one)
- To attend a telephone seminar (or to hear a recording of one)
- To read a research report
- To download an e-book
- To access a trial product
- To subscribe to an e-newsletter
- To subscribe to a print magazine
- To get special access to VIP benefits
- To participate in a forum or blog
- To access technical support
- To access a peer network such as a user group
- To use an online tool or calculator
- To get a coupon or discount code
- To register for an event such as a trade show or seminar
- To receive notifications (e.g. product availability, new listings, etc)
- For a customized experience (e.g. to store preference data)
- To download an MP3 file (e.g. a telephone seminar, podcast, music)
- To enter a high-value sweepstakes
- To join an affiliate program
- To join a loyalty program (e.g. airline miles)
- To receive a gift
- To participate in a survey
Best practices doe choosing the right opt-in motivators
The best incentive for your business will depend on your unique situation. However, in general the following best practice rules apply:
Offer credible value-add information related to what the visitor is looking for. Your brochure does not qualify as an incentive to register.
The offer should be of value to a prospective customer, not to the general public. Remember you want sales leads, not just a list of names.
The offer should relate to a prospect's purchase decision process.
If possible, provide immediate gratification once the form is completed.
Always tell the visitor what is in it for them.
Don't ask for too much information. You can get more information later.
Keep it simple. The page must look and work simply. Don't let the programmers overcomplicate it.
- Test different incentives and registration page designs.
Marketingsage is a full service marketing firm that helps other marketers and business executives increase revenue by cost-effectively generating sales leads, building brands, launching products and developing sales channels. With Marketingsage you can add expertise, bandwidth, specialized tools and contacts when you need them, for as long as you need them.
If you think Marketingsage may be able to help you and your business, please give us a call at 925-426-0488 or click here to have us contact you.